Accidents in the Workplace

Your employer has a duty to protect you and tell you about health and safety issues that affect you. They must also report certain accidents and incidents, pay you sick pay and give you time off because of an accident at work should you need it.

Reporting an Accident at Work

Your employer must report serious work-related accidents to your local authority. They must report:

  • Death
  • Major injuries, a broken arm or ribs for example
  • Dangerous incidents like the collapse of scaffolding, people overcome by gas
  • Any other injury that stops an employee from doing their normal work for more than three days

The reporting must be done by your employer, but if you’re involved it’s a good idea to make sure it has been reported.

Health and Safety at Work

Your employer has to carry out a risk assessment and do what’s needed to take care of the health and safety of employees and visitors.

All employers must keep an accident book. It’s mainly for the benefit of employees, as it provides a useful record of what happened in case you need time off work or need to claim compensation later on.

Making a Personal Injury Claim

If you’ve been injured in an accident at work and you think your employer is at fault, you may want to make a claim for compensation. Any claim must be made within three years of the date of the accident.

In the first instance talk with us for a commitment-free, no-obligation chat. We can discuss your circumstances and advise on possible courses of action.

By law, your employer must be insured to cover a successful claim and should place a certificate with the name of their employer’s insurance company where it can be seen at work. If not, they must give you the details if you need them.

What you should you do if you have an accident

If you have an accident in the workplace, you should:

  1. Make sure you record any injury in the ‘accident book’.
  2. If need be, make sure your employer has reported it to the HSENI.
  3. Check your contract or written statement of employment for information about sick or accident pay.
  4. If there’s a dispute, try to sort it out with your employer.
  5. If there are health and safety problems at work, point them out to your employer or the employee safety representative. Ask for them to be dealt with. If this doesn’t happen, call the HSENI.

How to resolve a problem at work

Health and safety representatives / Where you can get help

The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland is the lead body in Northern Ireland responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards. It also offers confidential advice and guidance.

The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) and Advice NI offer free, confidential and impartial advice on all employment rights issues for residents of Northern Ireland.

How much compensation could you be owed?

If you’ve been involved in an accident, you could be owed compensation. Contact us today to determine the validity of your claim and find out how much you could be owed.